Monday, June 9, 2008

Sectional Warping

There have been some discussions on the weaving lists about warping reels to make long warps. They seem enormous and must take up a lot of studio space. I almost always warp using a sectional beam, tension box, and spool or cone rack. I thought I'd post some pictures of my equipment.
My sectional beam has 2" sections, so I must prepare a spool for each end in 2" of the warp width. In this example, I am preparing a 6" wide warp, 14 ends per inch.
Therefore, I need 28 ends per section (so 28 spools), 3 sections total. The warp is 10 yards long, so I must wind on at least 30 yards per spool. I make sure I have enough by winding 2 yards extra per spool. Here are the spools ready to go. (my husband built the spool rack)



Here are the yarns threaded through the tension box, and then attached to the sectional beam, ready to be wound on. The tension box is made by AVL. The two little metal harnesses with heddles on the inside left makes the cross. I think it's called a "heck block".



Here is what is left after the warp is wound--less than 1 yard per spool. I wanted to show this picture, because I have heard the argument that sectional warping is "wasteful". Sectional warping is so much quicker than winding a warp on a warping board, that the cost of a few extra yards left over is peanuts. I wound the spools, threaded the tension box, wound 3 ten-yard sections on the beam, tied the new warp ends to the ends of the last warp, pulled the warp ends through the heddles and reed, and tied up ready to weave in less than an hour. I always have lots of uses for short pieces of the warp: fix a broken warp thread; use as supplementary weft for woven shibori; supplementary fringe; gift wrap; or tassels. I never throw it away, it gets used for something.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Can you show us how the spool rack works? How do you get the spools onto the metal bars?

Katherine Regier said...

Kimberly,
I am busy for the next three days, but as soon as I am back in the studio, I'll take pictures, and get dimensions so you can make your own!
Kathy

Kimberly said...

How do you measure out 30 yards (plus 2 yards for good measure)? Is there a tool you use or is it a process for measuring?