Monday, May 26, 2008

Shibori Samples

These samples were dyed last fall. My dye studio (aka: the front yard) is only seasonal, so I have to get the year's worth of dyeing done in the summer and warm fall weather.
I put 1/4" of Procion MX dye solution in a container, and laid the gathered fabric in it. I then painted a second color on the top of the folds, covered the container with plastic wrap, and batched overnight.
The first sample is black dye on the bottom. Warm brown painted on top. I love how the black haloed (or bled) the navy blue color! There is actually more black in the sample than the photo shows. I have a heck of a time getting color right in my pics.

The next two photos are different sides of the same sample. Red dye on the bottom, brown painted on top. This is a good example of the pattern being too regular for my taste, which I spoke about in my last post. I really like the color on the side of the fabric shown in the first pic. I would love a jacket out of this fabric (if the patterning was a little more irregular).
I hate the flip side! I dislike the pink haloing, and all of the tan is dyed pinky red. Yuck! I know that different color dyes bleed worse than others. Do you think making an alginate paste of the red dye would help control the bleeding?


7 comments:

Kimberly said...

Lovely! I like the bleeding black too. I took a workshop at CNCH in May on Woven Shibori. Yes, if you thicken the dye it won't bleed as much. The instructor gave us a recipe - I can dig it out later this week and send it to you if you like.

callybooker said...

Wow, these are great. My own shibori efforts (using that fabulous book by Catherine Ellis as well) were not a triumph but I enjoyed the experiments and will give it another try.

Suzan said...

I love it! Too regular or not, it's intriguing.

Katherine Regier said...

Thanks so much for the positive feedback!
Kathy

Kimberly said...

Found the notes! Our instructor, Ellen Good, used 1 TBSP sodium alginate wisked into 2 cups of warm water. She said to let it set for at least 4 hours to form a smooth paste. Then she adds equal parts of water and thickener when she's mixing the dye solution. There's a note at the bottom of the class handouts that says her methods are from the book by C. Ellis. Hope this helps. Have fun dyeing!

Peg in South Carolina said...

I have not yet tried this technique though I have Katherine's book, purchased with the definite intentions of trying it! Thank you for sharing your process

Katherine Regier said...

Thanks, Kimberly, for the recipe! If it ever stops raining in my dye studio (aka the front yard), I am ready to get back to dyeing, and will try the thickened dye.
Kathy